Friday, October 14, 2016

*Gasp* College is Not For Everyone

A couple months ago, I was practically being crushed under the weight of my own doubts and insecurities. I really did not feel like I was being called to go to college. I felt like it wasn't right for me, and like God had different plans for me. That's great, right? To each his own. 

It wasn't great. Not for me. All my friends were planning on college. They all (seemingly) had it figured out. Whenever I told anyone that I was a senior, the first question they always asked was 
"What college are you going to?" 

It was embarrassing for me to say that I probably wasn't going to college. 

What else are people who graduate are supposed to do, right?

Nobody was pressuring me intentionally. But it was small, very silly things that got to me. 

Such as articles called "Six Things You Need To Know Before Going To University" 

Or those college advertisements on Pandora. 

Or when I saw "Dorm-Friendly" items at the store. 

But especially when people asked what college I was going to. And then when I told them I wasn't, then their response of something like this "Oh... so what are you going to do then?" 

I would cry alone in my room and these lies would filter through my brain:
"Why am I too stupid for college?", 
"I'm going to be the only one who isn't ready and excited next fall.", 
"I won't have a good occupation later on.", 
"I'll regret this when I'm 35.", 
"I'll never be as good as everyone else."

After a lot of talking to my parents, and praying, I realized that I didn't have to go to college. I didn't have to fulfill anyone's expectations that every high school graduate would go to University. It was all in my head. I was ready to accept what God had for me, even if it was way different than every other person my age.

Then comes the funny part. I was reminded of my passion for hurting people, and how I love the idea of counseling. I realized that God wanted me to go to college for Biblical Counseling. 

Well, I totally just went through all that pain for nothing. 

WRONG. 

I went through that pain for a reason. I learned that I needed to follow God no matter where He takes me. Even if everyone thinks I'm weird or stupid. I need to disregard their opinions of me, and only focus on God's opinion of me. 

So even though I've decided that I do want to go to college, I learned a valuable lesson. 

I also know that there are people who truly aren't called to further education, and this next part is for you:

DO NOT. Repeat: DO NOT go to college because you feel left out. If GOD is telling to do something else, then do not let ANYONE tell you to do anything else. God is the ultimate authority. He knew what was good for you long, long before you were even born. 

Don't go to college for this reason: because that's the "thing to do", or because you don't want to let people down. 

Do what God is telling you to do. Your life will go so much better if you fold to His will. 

Look at the pain I went through and learn from that, so that you don't have to go through it too. 

It really doesn't matter what other people think if you have God on your side.

There's so many Bible verses about this, but I'll post three.

Galatians 1:10- 
For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ.

Proverbs 29:25-
The fear of man lays a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is safe.

Acts 5:29-
But Peter and the apostles answered, “We must obey God rather than men.



No comments:

Post a Comment