Monday, December 26, 2016

Perfectly Untouched

My childhood was much different than the kids of today.

I did not take selfies, post pictures of all my meals, watch makeup tutorials, and make musical.ly videos. I did not own a phone (my parents shared one flip phone) The most high-tech thing we did, was sometimes my siblings and I would all crowd around the tiny screen to watch a Looney Toons when we weren't supposed to, and other times we would make these types of masterpieces on our huge desktop monitor:













I sometimes look back at old photographs and see my tangled hair and horrible clothing choices and say "Mom, you should've slapped some sense into me, and made me dress better." or sometimes I wish I had watched more TV so that I could see what was fashionable and what wasn't.

But in reality, I am so, so glad I didn't.

Instead of being jealous of people's $50 manicures, I remember I would dig my fingers deep into mud and make "pies" for mom.

Instead of caring about the latest hair trend and styling products, I remember riding my bike as fast as I could, letting the wind whip through my hair, making it look like a rat's nest afterwards.

Instead of wishing I could look like bikini-clad models in magazines, I remember playing with my dolls and stuffed animals, pretending like I was on a boat, and rescuing them all from a huge flood.

Instead of watching movies, (aside from Pooh Bear and Aristocats) I would make up productions and plays with my cousins to perform for our family and would be giggling too much to even say my lines.

I remember baking cookies and treats with grandma, loving the feeling of the soft dough on my fingers, not caring about the flour under my nails.

I would read books about the Boxcar Children and Nancy Drew, and tried to write my own mystery books by stapling together notebook paper.

I would put together puzzles, make paper dolls, play with toy cars and boats and make huge cities with blocks and Polly Pockets.

My mom would let me pick out my own outfits to wear, making me feel important and grown up.

So the thing is, I am so grateful that my parents sheltered me from the big, scary world.
My little mind remained perfectly untouched by the destructive media.

It was because of this, that I had such a happy childhood.

I was allowed to be a kid, and did not suffer the heartaches of feeling like I needed to be as pretty as this person, or wear this kind of clothing to be cool, or do this, or have that.

I feel bad for a lot of the kids whose minds are so polluted by things that they can't help but see and hear in public schools.

I feel bad for kids who are so self-destructive because of the constant comparisons that are filtering through their heads.

So if I were ever to give a piece of advice to anyone younger than me, it would be this:

There is nothing wrong with being a kid. You're an adult for most of your life, so be a kid while you can still be considered one.

Do not focus on what other people are saying is cool. Trends leave (and look silly years later), styles fade, and people's outer beauty withers away.

Instead, focus on serving God and becoming more of a loving person. Be kind, be honest, and don't take people's hateful comments to heart, because they shouldn't matter to you.

If you can learn to not care about what people think, and only care about God's opinion of you, then you will be the happiest person alive.

Romans 12:2-

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

1 comment: